Chair Pose also called “Powerful Pose”, is part of the sun salutation, but it can also be practiced independently.
Benefits on the physical and psychological level
Chair Pose helps to strengthen your entire muscle structure, especially your legs, back, and booty. Your chest and rear shoulder muscles are also stretched while performing this pose. It is well suited to prevent and improve postural deformities, stimulate the function of the internal organs and intestines, and assist with joint and sciatic pain. The chair pose can also help in alleviating menstrual problems. The pose has a vitalizing effect, provides stability, and helps with agility.
How to perform Chair Pose
- Stand up straight with your feet close together. Your eyes should be level as you look straight ahead.
- Put your arms in front of your body and bring your palms together at sternum level. Keep your thumbs point toward your body. Your pelvic floor muscles should be tense.
- Exhale as you bend your knees and come down slowly into a squat position. As you’re coming down, lean back as if you were sitting in a chair. At the same time, move your arms vertically upwards.
- Remain in this squat position. Keep your thighs as horizontal as possible and your head should remain in line with your spine.
- Hold this position for a few breaths.